Monday, March 9, 2009

Out of Cato Manor

We moved out of Cato Manor on Saturday morning. I think I'm going to miss it a lot. I had come to know it as my home, and I can't tell you how much my mama means to me. My bed there is what I missed when I was sick, I missed mama when I wanted companionship and a fresh perspective, I even missed the TV and all its soapies. I think I'll welcome the time to myself and the ability to get some work done, but honestly I've gotten way more out of my homestay and my experience outside of the classroom than any class I've had so far.

 

This weekend I went to the flea market on the beach. Good day. Sunny and full of people. I got two skirts (one super cheap, one very pretty and Indian wrap-around like) and a comfy plastic replacement for my broken flip flops. Also Saturday night a few friends and I went to a gay bar/club that was playing techno remixes of Bollywood songs all night. So random but really fun. Nice not to get hit on constantly. Everyone was super nice, we had lots of conversations about politics and race and religion... It was a good night. 

 

We're off to the rural areas again today. We'll be there until Thursday and will be staying with Community Health Workers. We'll be doing rounds with them tomorrow, learning traditional Zulu beading on Wednesday as well as seeing a sangoma (traditional African healer). Lectures Thursday I think (blah. Like I said, I get way more out of my time outside the classroom), and then back. I desperately need to do laundry. Oops.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Allison...great entry. Let us know about your time with the sangoma. love ya, H.

    ReplyDelete