Monday, March 16, 2009

Good things.

Sorry for the sparseness in posts, things have been very busy here. 

But there are some happy coincidences! So I want to do my Independent Study in Impendle, the first rural stay I was on, near the Drakensberg Mountains. I haven't totally worked that out yet (sort of stressful, but I have faith that things will work out like they're supposed to), but some good coincidences:
-the photographer I want to be my advisor happens to live about 30 miles from the village
-Heard about this awesome music festival that happens over the long Easter weekend that is only about 40 miles from the village
-Unrelated, but I have an actual, written out, firmed up position for the summer and it is exactly what I wanted! I'm gonna teach photography to some kids/youth and have a part in developing the curriculum. This will be really challenging and I can't wait. The whole payment thing hasn't come through yet, though... 

Otherwise:
Our last rural homestay went well. Learned Zulu beading from a woman who didn't speak English and I have a whole new respect for the coordination and eyesight required. Went on rounds with my homestay mama who is a community health worker. My friend Laura and I shared a single bed in the one room rented by my mama, so she and I, my mama and one of her daughters all stayed together. And FYI, kids everywhere love bubbles. A lot. 

Moved into our apartment for the last 2 weeks of lecture. We have a balcony overlooking the ocean and the sound of waves (and the beachside nightclub...) rock me to sleep at night. I think my favorite detail is that off on the horizon, you can see big barges, which sometimes come in to dock at night. There are also lots of surfers to watch, wipe outs are pretty amusing. The waves are gigantic so they happen a lot. 

I've been feeling sort of adrift lately. I think it's because I don't feel very anchored. We spent a fair amount of time in Cato Manor, but for the rest of the program, I won't spend longer than 2 weeks in any one place. Makes me long for home a little more, I know I have a home base (or two) there, but they're far and remote feeling. Just a weird feeling. I think that's also amplified by what stage I'm at, and everyone at home is at, in the whole "adaptation cycle." According to one of my lecturers, week 6-7 (the last couple of weeks) are when people start to forget about you, stop writing and calling, forget your birthday, etc etc. Hm. Not a plea for attention, and I don't feel neglected, just thinking about it lately. 

4 comments:

  1. You are not forgotten, trust me! Your grandmother and I discuss you every time I see her at church and I've re-read your posts a couple of times to remember all the amazing experiences you are having. Can't remember how long you will be there--is the summer teaching thing still in Africa? Prayers and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that we are in the same "adaptation cycle". I too, feel adrift, anxious for any word from you. The blog helps. :) Betty, her summer job is in Pittsburgh; she comes home about an hour and twenty minutes before Emily's graduation May 20th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Allison, You are definitely not forgotten! I follow your blog constantly for updates! I'm currently in Nashville visiting. - Aunt Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll second or third the comments above - you're in my feed reader and I always look forward to updates from Africa! So exciting to hear that you'll be working on some cool projects that you're passionate about!

    ReplyDelete