Thursday, March 26, 2009

Beds

(I actually wrote this a few days ago, but didn't have consistent internet access. Changed a couple relevant details but here ya go.)

Maybe it’s only because I hold sleep very dear, but beds are strongly tied to sense of home for me. When I think of Nashville, I think of my comfortable room, melting into by soft pillowy bed, relaxing with family nearby. For Pittsburgh, I think of lying down beside Nik with my head on his chest. The places here have had their own character as well. In Cato Manor, my bed was pristine and soft, nearly as large as the room, while Mama slept on a thin mattress on the floor. In Windemere there is usually sand in the sheets and we wake up to the hot sun reflecting off the ocean. There’s sort of a cheap surfer feel, priorities lie with the view, not décor or comfort of the bed.

 

This sounds so nostalgic. I think it’s because I didn’t sleep well last night. I’m nostalgic in general lately.

I’m also figuring out that America won’t look quite the same to me when I get back. I didn’t fully realize how much of an impact this experience would have on me. Hm.

---

Otherwise, we just finished a 20 page (minimum) paper, and independent study starts in a week (on April 1st).  Still have a fair amount to get done before then, plus I’ll be without much contact with the outside world for two weeks. Sorta nervous, but not actually all that worried about things. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Allison, thx for your update...just love the thought of sand in my sheets....peace and blessings, Henry

    ReplyDelete