Thursday, February 12, 2009

Adventure!

I'm going to the bush for the next few days, be back in Durban Tuesday, around the internet either Wed. or Thurs. I'm going to go on a sweet hike that involves swimming in natural pools. we'll also be beside the ocean for the first couple of days. Tonight we'll have a "braii," which is a barbeque/cookout. The second half we'll be in homestays in a Xhosa-speaking rural area called Gxwetlintaba (the "x" is a click) in the Eastern Cape. We'll be in huts, bathe in buckets, plant mango trees... We'll mainly be observing and hanging out, since we can't speak Xhosa, but rural conditions are a huge part of our theme of Community Health, so it'll be good to see that. We get to see washing day too! I'll post pictures.

Otherwise, I'm going to make chili for my host mama next week. I'm missing some creature comforts, like ketchup that's salty not sweet and milk that does not come in a box. Oh, and frozen pizza. I'm adding that to the list. I love it here, though, don't get me wrong. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking us on this incredible journey with you. Your writing is very vivid.

    ReplyDelete