Tuesday, January 27, 2009

To catch you up...

So I've been here for 5 days (i think). I've seen a ton already so it'll be hard to totally catch you up, but I'll touch on a few things. We flew into Johannesburg (aka Jo'burg) on 23 Jan. (18 hour flight, I think I am finally finally over my jet lag as of today) and day before yesterday drove into Durban, which will be my home base for the next 4 months. We stayed in a hostel in Jo'burg, another one here that we moved out of this morning. So a few things about South Africa...
-It's hot. And humid.
-People really do carry things on their heads (weirdest thing I've seen so far is a car door)
-Everybody is generally very friendly and helpful, though Africans find it hilarious when white people try to speak Zulu (which I have had 2 classes of) 
-It's gorgeous. The bushveld (savannah) is wide open and undeveloped almost all the way from Jo'burg from Durban (6 hours).  Lots of big mountain things that are now plateaus because of erosion.
-All the birds and plants are different. Ants and mosquitoes are the same. 
-We went to the shore of the Indian Ocean when we got to Durban and got stung by little bitty jelly fish (just an annoyance, nothing to worry about).
-The Indian Ocean has the most gigantic waves I've ever seen. There are also huge huge ships that come into the Durban port.
-Women carry their babies on their backs, secured with blankets tied around them.
-African singing is probably the most heavenly thing I've ever heard and the dance is stunning.
-The roads are lined with market stalls everywhere you go, selling fruit, scarves, jewelry, cigarettes, everything. Lots of people. 
-Money is in Rand, 10 Rand = 1 US dollar. You can buy a decent dinner at a casual restaurant for about 35 Rand ($3.50 US). 
-Carrying water bottles is just an American thing. Nalgenes/Aluminum bottles etc. make you a target for mugging. Most South Africans just drink cokes. 
-HIV/AIDS rate is about 1 in 4. 
-School kids all wear uniforms in solid colors (e.g. a navy blue dress with matching hat) and walk around in groups. It's the cutest thing ever.

Okay. Enough for now. Feel free to post questions. I'll let you know how the homestay move-in goes!


7 comments:

  1. Piper, I think this is fantastic and I hope you continue to have an incredible time. P.S. Don't have an ubuntu baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds exciting. I am anxious to hear how things go and what you see and learn. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the blog address.
    I love hearing all about it and especially
    wish I could hear the singing and see the
    dancing! Any chance of a CD when you get back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That "mom" title is from my
    daughter's former blog. It's
    Ms. Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Allison,
    ...Your blog is great! It's great to be able to keep up with your journey. Your sense of 'being separated' is a bridge to your discovering that we're all linked, far beyond the distance of miles. Keep the notes coming..
    love and support!
    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Allison, sounds great! Looks like my other post never made it. I'm glad you're filling us in on normal family life there, and also the disparity in health care. We saw a special here on TV about the Durban area wine country, in particular Durbanville Estates. P.S. Maybe the German peanut butter is Nutella.

    ReplyDelete